True... It's impossible to catch all of them. Not all developers stick to the
standards.. I understand.

FWIW, I've stated a class that takes the 2 strings and then splits them at the
separator (".") After that it analizes each object in the array and determines
which one of the two arguments is the larger value then returns that

Of couse, the more values in the arrays, the more complex this gets.
I guess I would have thoutht there was something that could analize something
like "2.12" and "2.5" as floats and see which one is the largest of the 2