2011/11/13 Bruce Bruen <bbr...@paddys-hill.net>:
> On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 03:01 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> I took at a look at your code. You made a big mistake by making your
>> controls inherit UserContainer, whereas they are not containers. Which
>> makes the IDE mad when you want to use _DrawWith or some other properties.
>

> Yes, that makes sense.
>

>> They must inherit UserControl.
>

> I used UserContainer in gb2 for some reason lost in the mists of time, I
> think it was to do with a "handy" property in the UserContainer that was
> not in UserControl.
>
> I thought that maybe the reason has "gone away" now so I retried the
> LabelTextBox inheriting UserControl.  However, I have struck a problem -
> I can't seem to restrict the Height value if my control is used inside a
> container that enforces it's own height.  For example, if the
> LabelTextBox is inside a HBox it's height will expand to the HBox
> height.  I realise that this is what is "supposed to happen" but it's
> not what I "want to happen".
>
> I have attached two screen shots showing my problem.
well it's not a problem from gambas :)

you must add more containers to achieve what you want to do :

HBox
|__ VBox(expanded)
|   |__ hBox
|   |   |__ Label
|   |   |__ SpecialTexBox(expanded)
|   |__ Panel(expanded)
|__ Picture

this is how gambas containers works

> I don't know why my intentions work when inheriting UserContainer and
> not when inheriting UserControl.  I'll look into this further this week
> to see if I can characterise it properly.
your widget are usercontrol ... not containers ... that have no need
to work like a panel or anything on this ype

>> Or maybe I didn't understand what you
>> want to achieve at all!
>

> The intent is to give my two volunteer designers/coders with
> "simplified" controls that:
> - behave in terms of "navigation" the same way in both QT4 and GTK+
that is the work of benoit and gambas
> - provide some extra properties (e.g. the label) that can be set in the
> IDE and thus reduce both design and coding time
you have just to export it and setup the _properties constant

> - subsume the various native events (Activate, Click, Change etc) into a
> single "Changed" event that is only raised when the user has finished
> altering the value content of the controls
ok
> - ( and at stage two), to build some "data aware" controls - like
> gb.gb.form - but which will work with some standardised "business
> object" classes.
??? don't understand( that is already what gb.db.form do ... no ?)

> regards
> Bruce

Fabien Bodard