Do you need the syntax highlighting to be baked in? Can you not just
use Kate (in KDE) or Gedit with a suitable set of rules for their
existing highlighting mechanisms?

I remember a few years ago when I was using Gambas in a project for my
night-class in software engineering I was able to get syntax
highlighted code into Open Office and thence into pdf. From Open
Office I could move it to html for my "slide" presentation (didn't
want to go Powerpoint/Impress route).

I probably started by highlighting it in Kate as I remember writing
(modifying an existing) rule file. I started by just going through the
available syntax highlighters to find one that got me close - probably
KBasic - but I don't remember the details.

Richard.