Are you absolutely certain you are not using en_GB? Historically
speaking, most European schools will have taught en_GB, though perhaps
with an American accent;-)

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. The choice of
language variant for English speakers (and perhaps also French
(fr/ca/be), Spanish (South America-v-Spain) and German
(German/Austrian/Swiss) speakers) is a cultural preference. My guess
is that ANY English variant will be equally comprehensible for
non-native users of English. They may not even be aware of any
differences, and nor should they. After all, cultural preference is
not such a compelling factor for the international user, certainly
nowhere near as important as it is for native speakers.