On Fri, 18 Aug 2017, Gianluigi wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> This git response does not indicate that pull worked properly?
> remote: Counting objects: 12, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (12/12), done.
> remote: Total 12 (delta 10), reused 0 (delta 0)
> Unpacking objects: 100% (12/12), done.
> Da https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas
>    4aed62d..38a6017  master     -> origin/master
> Aggiornamento di 4aed62d..38a6017
> Fast-forward
>  main/gbx/gbx_c_process.c | 16 ++++++++++++++--
>  main/gbx/gbx_c_process.h |  1 +

This response means it was successful.

And regarding your other question:

> Why should I uninstall if I just want to update?

The act of "updating" should be: uninstalling, compiling anew and installing.
You should *not* just pull the changes, compile and overwrite your existing
installation. I'm pretty sure I have seen bug reports on this list that were
later determined to be caused by not uninstalling Gambas prior to installing
a new version.

Sometimes internals change that make the newer Gambas incompatible with the
older one on your system. Now what happens when you overwrite your old Gambas
with the new one, but due to circumstances not all old files are replaced by
new ones, so the old, incompatible parts of Gambas keep lying around?
There will be usually funny errors about incorrect types or missing symbols,
e.g. this one [1], or Gambas may straight up crash.

I shouldn't say this but I myself rarely uninstall before updating, because
in >= 98% of times it works and if it doesn't work I remember how to fix it.

Regards,
Tobi

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/gambas/mailman/message/34320297/