Hi, Richard.
One thing I can tell you from testing the Alpha's learning to take the
curves in this game are tricky.
You have to lean over to about 45 degrees, and slowly straiten up as you
take the curve. Leaning two far will result in hozing your paint job
against the rail wall and decrease your speed. Leaning not far enough
will allow you to loose speed as well. It is something that takes real
practice.
Then, there is the issue of shifting gears. You have a manual shift so
you have to know when and where to shift, and that takes some practice.