Hi, Nicol.
Yes, there were areas in Mario  where you could jump and be teleported
]to another level. I seam to remember you could even unlock secret
levels that way that were not even in the main game if you took the
normal route to the next level.
You also break some blocks which contained a special vine which would
allow you to climb to another level and get bonus points, coins, etc.

]