Hi, Nicol.
Yes, the Mario Brothers version I plan to write will be very similar to
the original game. You grabbed certain kinds of mushrooms. Some would
shrink or restore you, and others turned you in to super Mario. There
were also fire flowers that turned you in to fire Mario so you could
shoot fireballs.
As for the music I have the original music both in wav recorded format
which are exact recordings of the Nintendo music, and I also have midi
files which are remakes of the music which sound really really good.