Hi, Phil.
Well, a couple of points here.
First, one thing about object oriented programming and design is the
ease of creating objects of the same type. In an oop language like C#
once the class for Intrepid is created all that is required is a new
instance of the class such as:

Sovereign Enterprise new Sovereign();
Sovereign Seleya = new Sovereign();
Sovereign Monarchy = new Sovereign();

All of those ships are using the very same underlying Sovereign class,
but in three lines of code I just created three different ships using
the same underlying class. So adding multiple ships might only slow the
development down slightly.
Second, some of the classes aren't going to be in the game. For example,
the Constitution-Class is mothballed, and were around in Captain Kirk's
time. The Excelsior-Class replaced them, and was in turn replaced by
newer classes. However, unlike the Constitution-Class a few of the
Excelsior-Class vessels were upgraded, and remain in Star Fleet service
in the TNG and DS9 shows.