Hi Damien,
No, desktop systems are still quite less than most laptops. Most laptops
cost twice as much as a desktop with equal features.
I've hand built my own desktops in the past with the top-of-the-line
everything for the price of some lower end notebooks. Although, that has
been a while, and laptops and desktops have dropped in price since then.