I think I agree with the general consensus here, but I think Charles has an
excellent point. If a developer pumps out dozens of small games, I would still
want quality, so quantity is really kind of useless if the developer is
unwilling to spend the time to make it good.

As for time in development for a game, that is really a tough call.
For instance, I make maps for tactical battles. It isn't programming or
anything, but it is as good as it gets for one such as myself.
I find that I can make a basic no brainer map and scenario really easy. The
problem is that it would be bare bones and wouldn't be fun to play.

So I spend effort and resources on all the little things that make it fun and
interesting, which takes time, and sometimes doesn't come out as well in
practice as in  your head, so you have to start over, make allowances for
updates to technology, fix things that you thought were fixed but new problems
arose...heck, I can spend an entire  day trying to get one little stupid thing
to work right, lol.

So yes, Tom is right, if a developer wants quality, it is going to take time,
and probably more time then he or she really has to spend. It is the creative
process that drives, I think, the person to continue that kind of thing, beyond
the practical. You can get a real buzz off of making something and having it be
enjoyed, but it will always take lots of time. I never understood before why
programmers took so long to introduce games. Now I know and I really got a new
found respect for anyone who is willing to make some major sacrifices to make a
game come to life.

Al

"The truth will set you free"
Jesus Christ of Nazareth 33A.D.