Hi tom.

Both facts are true, indeed I'd put several of Ian's games over commercial examples such as those by azabat and american printing house for quality simply because they are so well designed for what they are.

In terms of new programmers that also makes sense and is why in fact on audiogames.net we draw a distinction betwene practice games and actual projects.

That being said there is a design question too. Take Tarzan Junior as an example. This was I believe Philip's fourth game, indeed I think he was still about 16 when he wrote it, however he obviously sat down and considdered carefully matters such as enemy placement, how the enemies would sound as they came forward, use of multiple weapons, he even got voice acting assistance. Rather than just throwing a bunch of things at the player, the way I've seen some games designed with bgt do, Philip sat down and carefully thought what! would make a good game, where those elements could be placeed and delivered something which, while not in quality up to the standard of his later work is certainly way above the average practice game, indeed I myself bought tj back in the day since I thought ten dollars was a fair enough price for that level of quality.

this is not as much about programmer, as about pure game design, considdering what challenges a player has to face, what elements make a good game and what elements are needed, certainly iv'e seen developers try and create commercial projects without those elements that have not worked.

Thus, while I totally agree about programming experience, there is a bit more I think involved specifically in game design, and it's often that aspect as much as the programming that gets in the way, indeed the two are linked since programming gives you the tools while design tells you what to do with them and you really need both.

Beware the grue!