Hi Dark,

True enough. However, it is still none-the-less a personal risk.
Weather anything comes of it or not is anyone's guess.

That said, there is still quite a bit of wiggle room when it comes to
copyrights. There are some gray areas such as fan fiction that is
seriously challenging the big money hungry companies when it comes to
absolute control over copyrights and trademarks, and it is to this
niche we as audio game developers can attempt to squeeze into.

What it comes down to is the intention of the laws, and how they have
slowly changed over the years. When the U.S. Copyright Act was
originally written the basic intention was to keep someone from
profiting from a work or idea created by someone else. If I wrote a
book, for example, you couldn't just copy it word for word and sell it
to another party because it was copyrighted. Then, that basic idea was
extended to include specific things in the book such as people,
places, and things that were unique to that book. However, these days
it seems the companies are pushing the boundaries of those laws, and
insisting on things that were never intended by the original copyright
laws and is largely unenforceable.

For example, if you download an audio book from Audible you'll
probably get some standard warning to the effect not to transmit this
audio book via email, Internet download, not to stream the recording,
or play this recording in front of a live audience. Its to this latter
point that I find a bit disturbing. As I don't see anything wrong with
buying an audio book and playing it with a bunch of friends or in
front of a class of students. Yet, according to the copyright notice
that sort of public use is impermissible, and I think could be
challenged if push came to shove.

When I was a student in grade school our V.I. teacher use to get audio
books from the National Library Service and play a chapter or so every
day after lunch. All the kids would gather around and listen to the
book, and then answer questions about it the teacher asked. I think
this is a pretty fair use of the audio book, and even if it were
obtained from Audible instead of NLS I think they shouldn't  have the
right to restrict someone like a school teacher from playing an audio
book in front of her class. That seems to me to be a perfectly fair
use of that audio recording. However, it sounds like the companies
that produce books on tape, CD, and for digital download have other
ideas of what is and is not fair use of that recording.

The reason I am saying all of this is to point out that over the years
the intended use  of the copyright laws have changed, and corporations
with lots of money invested in their products have used copyright laws
to beat people over the head and beat them into submission. In some
cases what the corporations demand isn't even entitled to them under
the current copyright laws, and since most people don't know their
rights they often get run over by the greedy companies who want to
control everything, and squeeze every dime they can out of their
customers one way or another.

Now, though, thanks to the rise of the Internet companies are having
problems holding onto their copyrights and many people, common people,
are willing to test the boundaries of copyright law. Fan fiction is
one area where we see this happening. There are a number of fan
fiction sites where people can submit stories on Star Wars, Harry
Potter, Batman, or whatever and have it read by the rest of the world.
Some publishers have taken the fan fiction sites to court only to get
their butts royally kicked for their efforts. So thanks to the efforts
of fan fiction people are beginning to take back their rights, and
telling Warner Brothers and other companies like them we are not going
to give them absolute control over this content. That the community
has some rights under the fair use clause of the U.S. Copyright Act
and we will darn well use them.

Basically, I think if a developer, such as myself, decides to create a
LOTR game as long as it was free, I wasn't making a profit off of it,
I could probably claim it is a type of fan fiction. As such I could
use the same fair use clause they use to legally keep running fan
fiction sites even though it makes the copyright holders madder than a
crazy rat with his tail on fire.