Hi Tom and all,

Just adding to what Tom is saying here. This is a little long, so I hope you
will all stick with me.

This is also why I am a proponent of Apple's model. Apple iterates existing
products along a trajectory that eliminates the perceived obsolescence
technique. They only update the physical or user interface designs of their
products infrequently, and there software upgrades are designed to improve the
experience, rather than change it. The iPhone is a prime example. While Apple
has added new features and capabilities to it, the system looks and works very
much the same as it did when they first introduced it in 2007. This year, they
are planning a UI overhaul, but even that has more to do with aesthetics, and
the actual layout and functionality is expected to stay exactly the same.

Since Apple does this, they keep older products on the market, steadily
dropping their price as the cost of the older components goes down, but they
still make a point to update the older products with software updates. For
example, iOS 6, the current version of the software for the iPhone, still runs
on the iPhone 3GS with most features working, even though the 3GS went on sale
four years ago. This is quite remarkable in this industry.

Macs are handled in much the same way. I used the same MacBook as my primary
machine for 6 years, and it ran perfectly fine with the latest OS up until the
day I replaced it. And boy, let me tell you, that thing took a beating.

Taking this further, Draconis could have thrown some new sounds into
ChangeReaction 2 and called it a new game, with basically all the same features
and play of the original game, and tried to get users to upgrade that way.
Instead, we wanted to give them something to make upgrading worth the cost,
such as essentially two new games in addition to the original, a built-in
tutorial system, etc. We're taking our model from Apple's lead which, despite
Dark's protestations, is actually designed to benefit the users first and
foremost. Apple's main philosophy is that, if you put the users and their
experience first, customers will come to you. So far, it is working very well
for them, and it is the philosophy we are employing as well.