Hi,

I'll add to what Josh said, because he raised a number of good points
that pertains to my own situation as well. Like he said we can't look
simply at the numbers, because there are a number of other things
going on here too.

For instance, while the Linux market is growing I still have concerns
how many of those users would be”paying customers” since Linux users
are less likely to buy software than their Windows or Mac
counterparts. This is a lot like the Android verses iOS situation Josh
talked about, because many commercial developers tried selling their
products to Linux users only to have their product fail. It isn't that
there are not enough Linux users out there, there are in fact millions
of mainstream users, but it has to do with the degree of free
alternatives that it makes commercial software nonviable on the
platform.

One of the more memorable examples is Corel's office suite for Linux.
Arguably Word Perfect, Quatro Pro, Corel Draw, etc are excellent
applications. However, who is going to pay $200 for an office suite
when there are free solutions like OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and IBM
Lotus Symphony? It is just not going to sell to someone who already
has a low cost office suite that does it all anyway.

That said, as blind gamers we have a bit of a disadvantage. Where
there are hundreds of games for Linux like Super Tux, Tux Racer, Rocks
and Diamonds, Civilization, Quake, etc they aren't accessible. That
means in theory since there isn't a freedom of choice for blind Linux
gamers I have an advantage over mainstream developers in that as one
of the few blind developers of audio games for Linux I can charge for
them and people will have to pay if they want them. That is sort of
insurance that I'll make something off the product as I don't have
free competition to compete with.

However, whatever price I put on the product has to be realistic. I
don't know anyone who is going to pay $40 for a Blackjack game for
Linux no matter how hard up for games they are. That would be
obviously ridiculous. A small fee like $3.00 to $5.00 might be more
reasonable. Even better yet for something that basic it might as well
be free and open source. The point being, though, that the price has
to be something someone use to free software is willing to afford.
They might buy a cheap audio game, but most Linux users will be
looking for something open source if and where they can get it, and
that is why commercial software has not been very viable on Linux in
many cases.

The exceptions to the rule tend to be specialty software that has no
other free competition. To give you an example the Cepstral voices are
really the best voices available for Linux users, and I have always
been willing to put out $30for Cepstral David, Callie, Dianne, etc
because they are more human than Espeak. Apparently Cepstral must be
doing well as they continue to put out new versions for Linux, and in
fact I just got a message from them today offering a discount on their
new 6.0 voices for Linux. So commercial software is not always doomed
to failure, but it has to be something you can't get anywhere else.

Getting back on topic here as Josh said looking at the numbers is not
the be all and end all to weather a game for a certain platform is
worthwhile. Neither is making money necessarily sufficient motivation
for targeting a specific platform. Their are personal reasons which
are just as valid as making money.

To give you an example Jim Kitchen has written a number of fun and
enjoyable games for Windows using SAPI and DirectX. You know, I could
do basically the same thing using SDL and Speech Dispatcher. I could
crank out Football, Baseball, Uno, Yatzi, etc and just give them away
or make them open source. The value wouldn't be making money but just
because I enjoyed doing it. So money and x number of users isn't
everything. :D

Cheers!