Hi Jim,

Ankerhead was a text adventure released around 98 or 99 with a
decidedly H.P. Lovecraft theme to it. Its been years since I've played
it myself, but its definitely one of the better interactive fiction
games out there, and is widely regarded as one of the best by most IF
gamers. So you may want to try it out sometime.