there are several versions.
1.  the origional book and movie.
2.  the tv series, based on the book and a bit more livened up.
the bbc series which is better than all of them, the first book or so was good but after that it got rather crappy and boring. The real hitch hikers guide was a bit more crazy well its the bbc series I have is the real one, I was able through an archive site I used and a friend to get recorded eps of it for myself and I prefur the bbc version.
In that version the vogons were the
  centre of the thing.
I think it was a joke against some council or something at the time.
orders were orders, earth had to go no matter that the orders were superseeded by other tech or that they were invalid. Eventually everyone returned to earth and the vogons won, ofcause, it never happened like that origionally but the vogons I guess were part of a strong theme, still it could be argued that the radio series was wrigged for the vogons to win no matter what. kind of something like the modern corperation they always seem to win no matter what though I am not sure if that changed later or what since all parts after part 12 came much later on so expect some stuff was tweaked.
Its a shame that it was ended like that myself.
Still.