From: Gamers [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 2:09 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] command prompt and wrestling

Hi Al,

Ah, yes. That will do it alright. You need to keep in mind these are text
based games from the 90's designed for Dos not Windows. That's why things
like the arrow keys do not work because they didn't have things like
DirectInput for dos and it was difficult to write applications that used
keys that didn't map to a simple ASCII keycode.
The cin function in C++, which I suspect they are using, can only accept
input from letters, numbers, and symbols like plus, minus, divide, and so
on. Keys like the arrow keys, home, end, page up, page down, and so on don't
have a specific keycode and require a much more complex input handling
system than I suspect the developers were willing to write for games like
Piledriver and Wrestling League Simulator. That's pretty par for text games
though.

For example, even in my own wrestling game you can't use the arrow keys for
accessing the menus because its a text based game using the print function
and raw_input function in Python for displaying text and handling input. I
wrote it that way to run on Windows, Linux, and Mac without having to add a
bunch of extra stuff like Sapi support, SDL input, blah, blah, blah just to
make a quick and simple wrestling game like Piledriver or Wrestling League
Simulator. Although, I could have if I was really seriously interested in
doing so.