From: Gamers [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:14 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] A Question About the Best user Interface

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question I thought I'd throw out here to the community to see
what you thought about this. As many of you know for a while now I have been
developing a WWE wrestling game in Python, that is largely text based, but
one problem is not all the performers can fit on the same screen when
selecting the challenger or the opponent for the match. As the database of
male and female performers grows this problem will only get worse. Now,
there are two ways of handling this issue.

The way a sighted developer would handle this is they would table all the
options on the screen into columns and rows rather than put them in a
vertical list like this.

Select the challenger.

1. Steve Austin 2. Daniel Bryan 3. John Cena 4. Christian 5. Ted DiBiase Jr.
6. Edge 7. Mark Henry 8. Kane

Now, obviously the advantage of doing it this way is I could conceivably
squeeze a huge database of performers onto a single screen simply by placing
them into a table instead of a vertical list. I should be able to place
somewhere between 50 and 60 performers onto a single screen. My concern
though is that it will take more work reviewing the screen to find the
option for the performer you want to play as you'd basically have to examine
the entire table to find out that a certain performer is number 36 out of 50
possibilities.

The alternative is I could create a vertical list of performers, but split
it up over several screens. That means if a database of challengers had 60
performers you would get the first 20, press enter, see the next 20, press
enter again, and get the last 20 performers. In some aspect sits more
accessible, but I don't like it because I'd rather see as many performers as
possible on the same screen.

So any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

Thanks.