Hi Dark,

Well, as for compatibility we've been over that topic more times than
I can count. So its not really worth the time to explain the fact
there is not enough money or reason for Microsoft to support 16-bit
Dos applications in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. It sucks,
but its life. You can't realistically expect Microsoft, Apple, or
anyone else to support some old technology or software  indefinitely.
Its ridiculous.

Opening Office and rtf documents is no problem. There are several
options for Macc OS in terms of word processors and such. I don't know
where OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and IBM Lotus Symphony are right now in
terms of VoiceOver accessibility right now, but I do know that is
three different office suites available for Mac off the top of my
head. Surely, you will be able to find something that measures up to
Microsoft Office.

As to your last point that is a risk anyone takes when switching to a
new or different OS. There is always the possibility that something
will come out for Windows they want, but won't be available for Mac,
Linux, etc. As Microsoft still holds something like 80% of the market
share that is bound to happen eventually. So it all depends on how
badly you are willing to forgo any new games, office programs, media
players, whatever for Windows and are willing to settle for Mac or
Linux equivalents. In most cases there are some, but not always.

Cheers!