Hi trouble,

Hahaha! I know. I seriously would not consider charging for upgrades
unless it was really major because although I like making money I
wouldn't feel obligated to charge for basic operating system support
for the lifetime of a certain product. Usually I feel something like
that needs to be included in the price of purchase unless, and only
unless, it requires a major rewrite or extensive upgrade of some kind.

For example, take Change Reaction. The original version was written in
Visual Basic, is running very near the end of compatibility with
modern Windows releases, so Draconis rewrote the game from the ground
up using their new engine which was designed for many modern operating
systems. Well, the $9.99 upgrade fee is more than reasonable
considering the time and work involved in the rewrite of the game as
well as new features and additional game play. So I would do the same
if I had a game that needs that sort of upgrade.

However, if it is dropping support for one library like DirectSound
and choosing something else like OpenAL, XAudio2, FMOD Ex, Bass,
whatever I don't think I would charge for that unless there were
licensing fees involved because I don't believe users should be
punished for upgrading their computer and operating system. Free
patches and support should be provided as long as possible. That's
just how I am. Plus I don't think I'd get the money if I did charge
upgrade fees.

Cheers!