On 12 Sep 2013, at 23:21, Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's give you an example, and I am truly interested to get your point
> of view on this. I know you bought Raceway and Montezuma's Revenge
> through preorder sales. You'll be getting copies of them when it is
> released. However, imagine that PC you have breaks down and you decide
> to go out and buy a new computer with Windows 8 on it. How would you
> feel if I said, "sorry, it doesn't run on Windows 8? You said you
> wanted me to develop it for XP so I didn't take any consideration for
> Windows 8 users." Now, how would you feel? Would you have to eat your
> words about XP support once the shoe is firmly on the other foot?

I'm not Charles, but here's my take: no, I would not. I paid for an XP version,
so I got an XP version. No gripes and no hard feelings.

However, the problem with this line of argument is that it presupposes that XP
users are content to choose one platform over the other going forward.
Obviously this isn't the case, as you yourself have said, because for maximum
interoperability (and profits) you'll be supporting both platforms, whether you
like it or not. You recognise that there will be XP users, and also Windows
Vista/7/8 users. But those XP users may not share your interest to migrate to a
new platform, even if you think it's worthwhile. XP users are not obliged, for
instance, to upgrade to accommodate your choice to support newer technologies
if those technologies do not apply to them, or if alternatives exist which, in
an XP user's opinion, you could have taken up to satisfy both platforms.

To take a recent example, you were talking about the support of 3D audio using
DirectSound8. This is valid; it's entirely penny wise and pound foolish to
endeavour to support something that will be guaranteed to die off in the very
near future, while omitting XAudio2 for Windows versions after XP. But suppose
you could use OpenAL instead, to serve both platforms? XP users are aware that
you have a choice, but elect not to take it, which accordingly gives them a
reason not to bother with the purchase of your games.

My point here is that you are obliged to accommodate your customers as much as
your customers are obliged to accommodate you, and we all need to be in
agreement about what makes sense for both the customer and the developer.

Cheers,
Sabahattin