Yes, you are right. The way I see it, the more accessible all phones get, the better.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Any Accessible Android Games

Hi Charles,

Yes, I have heard that too, but my personal experience with testing
the Android devices hands on is that accessibility is very good now.
There is very little that I could not do on the Android phone that I
could do on an iPhone. Keep in mind here that accessibility on Android
is constantly improving with each version so negative feedback may be
out of date or based on an older version of Talkback and Android OS.
Both factors are something to be considered here when recommending to
a new user which is better.

Plus my concerns are not strictly accessibility related. I was
impressed with the Android when I could set it up to single tap on
icons and have it bring up an app rather than double tap. That is an
end user preference thing which I did not see in iOS. I also noticed
that Google Talk back gestures are completely customizable where I
couldn't find where to change them in VoiceOver. These are just a few
things based on my limited experience where Android seemed better
suited to my preferences in terms of being customized.

The other issue here is that I am not just your every day ordinary end
user. I am a power user with considerable programming skills and I
plan to write software for my phone. For a power user and developer
the Android is the superior choice because it is largely open source,
uses standard languages and technologies like Java, and there is no
fees to develop for the platform. I can use a Standard Java JDK with
the Eclipse IDE for Linux or Windows to develop apps and games for the
Android platform. Apple iOS is totally not free and much more
difficult to develop for. To develop for an iPhone I'd have to run out
and slap down $1500 for a Macbook, get and install XCode, and buy the
iOS SDK on top of that. None of this considers the fact that the Apple
iOS platform does not use standard APIs and languages requiring that I
learn Object C and any iOS specific APIs. Bottom line, I'm looking at
well over $2000 invested in the phone and the hardware and software to
develop games and apps for it where Android only requires a phone. In
short, I don't care how good accessibility is on an iPhone it is not
worth $2000 or more to develop software for it. The access on Android
is good enough for my needs and I can develop software for it for a
fraction of the cost.

to be honest I think what has happened here is that Apple got to the
accessibility first. All the blind users ran out, purchased Apple
iPhones, and now any time someone goes looking for a smartphone they
say iPhone, iPhone, iPhone. However, now that Google is closing the
gap, the accessibility is improving, people such as yourself already
have an iPhone and refuse to switch or even follow changes in Android
accessibility since it does not apply to you. Am I right?

In my opinion, there are more blind friendly apps for the iDevices than for

Androids. At least, this is what a whole slew of people have been saying.
I started with an iPhone, and won't switch for this reason.  I think that
you get what you pay for, and if you can afford the iDevice, get it.

  There is an article at

www.applevis.com

about one user's experiences with both types of devices, and why the author

of the article went from an iPhone to an Android, then back to the iPhone.