If this becomes true, the skill of reading will be lost. All blind people will either be read to by a person or a machine. That is an unthinkable shame. Not even learning to read will affect other skills such as spelling, writing, and others. Filling out applications for jobs will be far more difficult as will getting and retaining a job if you cannot read.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] the cost of documentation - Re:Somepracticalquestionsreguarding the Monopoly game

Hi George.

As a professional musician and singer myself I personally disagree entirely about braille music, but that is not an arguement to have here.

Regarding braille display and writing, given the choice between a synth voice are a braille display, for speed and convenience I'd probably read with a synth, however for atmosphere and flow I would probably read in braille, (though I'd take an actual human voice reading over both and it is possible synths might crack the intonation barrier in the future).

However, the problem is, despite any bennifits I might perceive in braille, it is dam expensive! my Iphone cost me nothing over what it would cost with a sighted user, I could similarly use nvda on a pc, heck Supernova is coming down in price for this reason.

With a braille display you still! need the software to begin with before you've even bought the itme. Were a braille display 100 usd, ---- maybe even 200I'd considder getting one, but the plane and symple truth is that 1000 usd is a heck of a lot of money for access to reading text one line at a time.

We can debate the pros and cons of the process of reading braille until the cows come home, but the ultimate question is one of basic economiccs. if something costs lots of money and something which can provide for most people an acquivolent service costs less, what are people going to buy?

This is why the technology has to improve and be updated if braille is going to stick around in any major capacity in the future, indeed myself I'm fairly certain that unless a workable interface is developed in the next 5-10 years, in 20 years time nobody newly blind will be learning braille at all which means in 50 years it will die out completely.

Beware the Grue!

dark.