The only thing that I disagree with is that you must learn braille music if you are seriously into music. My point of view is not from that of a teacher, but as a person who plays, and used to teach, guitar. I have always played by ear, or someone might show me how to make a certain chord. Then again, my music is not classical, which is more critical. I play most country, and fifties to early seventies rock. I don't think that sheet music is a requirement for the stuff I do. I do consider it a plus, though, and may consider another attempt at learning to read it just to be able to do so if the need arises.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jorge Gonçalves" <jopo...@hotmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] the cost of documentation - Re: Somepracticalquestionsreguarding the Monopoly game

I also would like to give my opinion:
For me when we talk about braille we now adays have to include Braille
as a whole language both for paper and electronic braille displays.
For me Braille is literacy and can never be replaced. The blind person
should be able to write and read like everyone else. Now the question is
the cost, timing and volume of braille hard copies. About this, I
believe the braille production in hard books will be substancially
reduced with the lack of need, lack of space to store it both at home
and libraries, the speed of production and with the global crysis.
..But for me braille is also what we can read in braille displays and
also the speed we get with braille writing using the same braille keyboards.
For example when a book is produced and put available on the Kindle App
for IOS, I can have it some minutes later fully in braille because I can
read it with my braille displays And I like to be able to read, to feel
the touch of letters and have the sensation of reading.
The key point here is the cost of braille displays. No matter what we
say, they still are very expensive and not affordable so that we could
talk about the global spreading of braille.
It's true that manufacturers of braille displays are trying to reduce
the costs- For example a Focus 14 in the US costs 1295 if they didn't
change it. I have one myself and really the quolity of this product is
amazing. The braille is great, bluetooth capacities, quite keyboard.
Also when we talk about braille we should remember products like Braille
Pen from Harpo which is a braille keyboard that costs around 250 Euros.
This product really speeds up the braille writing for a lot of people.
So people who like braille like I do, should be also allowed to use
braille in a daily basis. I use braille everyday but I rarely touch a
braille hard copy of any kind of documents. I only use electronic braille.
Now as a professional musician and music teacher I can say that no
matter what people say, blind people who want to seriously learn music
specially about classic pieces they will always need to learn braille
music and who ever says the opposite either is not knowledgable enough
or is not serious.
It's true than in letters braille can be replaced but in music, it can not.
So braille is there for a longtime the point is that the way which we
are using is developping.
Cheers,
Jorge