Hi Charles:

I think you just brought up a very important point when it comes to
creating audio games and converting certain games into audio games. A
lot of people like yourself have never had a chance to play certain
games, and would like to know what they missed out on. Montezuma's
Revenge is as good as any to use as an example here.

The original game came out in 1984, and I am told was inspired by
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It was a fairly popular game for
its day, and was one of the first really good side-scrollers for the
Atari 2600 platform. Even today the game has remarkably good game
play, and was more about avoiding monsters rather than killing them.
I'm not at all surprised someone like yourself would be slightly
curious what the game was like.

That is in fact why I decided to take over the project myself when
James North got rid of it. I had grown up with that game, played it
many times as a kid, and loved it. The idea of an accessible version
appealed to me as much as someone like yourself. It was a decent game
that could easily be converted to an audio only format, and would give
me a chance to play an old classic I grew up with.

I get where Christopher is heading with his reasoning, and it is fine
as far as it goes. Unfortunately, one of the motivating factors why I
spent time developing a game engine, why I started USA Games, etc is I
grew up playing many games in the 80's and 90's and can no longer play
them any more due to going blind. I still want to play them and if I
want to I have to rewrite them, and make them accessible. If I could
only create new games, create something original, that would be okay
but would not have the same personal motivating factors as writing
something I really enjoyed from my childhood and early teens.