Hi:

Yes, once again I find myself in agreement with Dallas. While it is
certainly true audio is limiting to a point it doesn't mean that it
has to be simplistic as it all too often tends to be with audio games.

For example, one genre or style of games that is way over represented
is the Space Invaders type arcade game. Just your basic 2d arcade game
with ships falling or landing and you have to move left and right and
shoot them out of the sky. That's alright as far as it goes, but the
truth is we could do so much more with the game idea than has been
done.

One way is rather than a simple 2d game why not have a 3d arcade game
where you fly a ship around a 3d grid up, down, left, right, forward,
and backwards while shooting enemy spaceships. With libraries like
OpenAL its entirely possible to do a pretty fair representation of
your position in 3d space, and you would end up with a far more
complex audio game. While still having a pretty cool arcade
shoot-m-up.

The thing is that  so much more can be done with audio than has been
tried or is being done, and while there are certainly times when a
developer might not want a full on 3d audio environment it would
greatly enhance many existing audio games just by adding some extra
complexity to the game.

Cheers!