Hi.
I'm probably stirring up a dead horse at this point, seeing I'm late to the thread, but another nice thing about the task manager, in 7 and 8, and 8.1, is you can hold down the windows key and hit the number corresponding to how many icons from the left on the task bar the item you want is, and it will,

A. If the application isn't already running launch it

B. if it is already running bring it to the foreground.

I make heavy use of this feature to shorten the alt+tab process down to one key press to bounce between Monkey Term and Thunderbird as needed, or flip right over to the chicken nugget window assuming I have it not hidden. I use windows+1 to open internet explorer for instance. how can you beat that? Windows+e opens up the explorer window, and in 8.1 the explorer window, on top of showing your list of drives, lists network drives in a separate category that you can close if you want so you don't have to see them all the time, and it lists important user folders like documents, downloads and such as that right there in the window you get when you hit windows+e. Again, how can you beat that? In windows 7 I would go to start menu and type downloads and hit enter to open my downloads folder. Now I hit windows+e and type dow, just do without the w goes to documents, and hit enter and there I am in my downloads folder.

In windows XP I used to use the connect to menu in the start menu to work my way to the wireless networks dialogue box. When I switched to windows 7 a few years ago I became rather upset because I couldn't find an easy way to get to the networks list. I knew how to get there but it was convoluted and not nearly as simple to get to as XP. It took me a few months no kidding to figure out that there is an icon on the system tray that shows what network you are connected to or not connected if none. You can hit enter on that and it brings up a list of wireless networks and dialup and cellular device connections, pluus lists ethernet connections, right there just like that. So that discovery was one of the things that really started selling 7 to me since going through the system tray like that really feels actually a lot easier than xp's way of doing it. usually I know what network I am connected to also so if I'm on my satelite connection I just hit windows+b, type sat and hit enter really quick so the balloon thing doesn't pop up and get me stuck in there (XP does this too so don't go there especially with the little problem where it would decide you wanted to be on a particular item and every time you tried to arrow away it'd put you back on the item you were already on, ug) and down arrow to the connection I want and hit enter twice, first time it puts me on the connect button, or if it was already connected it focuses a disconnect button. I hit enter the second time and it just connects. What's more, 7 connects to WiFi networks a lot faster than XP. I usually had to wait around 10 to 15 seconds on XP machines to connect to networks, 7 does it in around 3 seconds on average. Not only that, but 8.1 has two sliders above all the networks by which you can turn networks off. There's an airplane mode switch you go to that and you can left or right arrow between off (left) and on (right). If on none of your wireless networks will work unless you explicitly enable them, Wifi has it's own on off switch just below airplane in there which you can use to do this. Windows 8.1 gave us back the ability to say that the desktop environment is what we want by default. it also provides us the ability to make the start screen by default always show all apps instead of live tiles. I tried the all apps thing out originally, but I put it back to live tiles because I like to be able to read the weather so easily. I admit while I'm on this subject though that last time I messed with the built in windows 8.1 weather app I couldn't figure out how to change the location. Only reason it works good for me now is my computer figured out (with my permission) where I am and set it up for me. So many people just totally trash the new start screen. I sort of like it, wouldn't mind a more linear way to navigate it if I desired, but on the whole it's kind of nifty. But while I say that, I don't use it very often. I put shortcuts to stuff I use most on the desktop, and that's working ok. There's no problem with hitting windows+m , typing top and hitting enter to launch topspeed.

One thing my friends have really been upset about windows 8.1 over is the new task manager. While I would have to agree that the new task manager really is pretty sluggish compared to the original version of it that we love from windows 7 and the even earlier version from XP, it always puts you on the processes tab. We generally need the details tab though if we want to adjust apps using a similar screen layout to that of old. Since you always land on the processes tab now when you open task manager (assuming you have disabled it's simplified mode) we hit ctrl+shift+escape, and shift+ctrl+tab twice and no doubt about it we're on the details tab, assuming the computer is running ok. I like this because time and again I would forget and leave my windows 7 task manager on something like the applications tab, instead of the then what we used processes tab, and so if jaws crashed and I was litterally flying blind trying to fix it, I would run into issues trying to close all the jaws related processes manually while intending to restart jaws fresh. Now I know as long as the task manager actually opens in the first place when I issue the keystroke I'm safely in the processes tab and I know where to go from there. It's different, seems more inconvenient, but it does have it's upsides.

Yes, alt+f4 on the desktop works to bring up the shut down dialogue box where you can pick what you want the computer to do sleep, hibernate etc. But windows 8.1 gave us a new toy (not sure if this is in 8. Windows+x gives you a list of different things you might want to do like visit programs and features, adjust power options, launch the mobility center and a lot more. Well there's a shutdown and sign out sub menu in there too. Since you can use first letter navigation in the windows+x menu, and since the hot letter for shut down and sign out is u, sound familiar XP users? you can hit windows+x, u and unfortunately that lands you right in the shutdown menu where you can sign out, power off restart, hibernate, sleep and blahblahblah.

So you see all these nifty little things I've found just go to show that this is pretty different than what we used to use, but it's really not worse, in many cases it's a big improvement, sometimes it's even a serious accessibility improvement, though not as often as I wish. I do have some issues with jaws making use of windows 8.1's new display hooking method by which screen readers retrieve text. Sometimes for instance in the Skype desktop app it decides to not say anything when you hit insert+t to see which conference you're focused on, it just says, title is, type in text documents. And if you hit alt+tab it says the name of the conference you're in, but doesn't take focus away from it. It's like somehow we're not actually properly focusing the chat. There is a workaround of course, just close that conversation out with your escape key and then reopen it. Note that this is using Skype's compact view I have no idea if this applies to default view. This doesn't happen very often and it's not really any worse than the issue I had often back in the XP days where lines of text weren't represented rightly in editors like notepad. You'd be on a different line than it said you were on, and it would read the wrong thing. A fix for that btw is to highlight the line you're on, hit home,, then press shift+end then of course use an arrow key after your screen reader finishes reading what you highlighted just so if you hit a letter or backspace or something you won't delete that line you just used highlighting to read.

My computer is a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro. It has a touch screen. I've messed with it some. I found that I really can move around the windows environment with it to some degree, but we need improvements in that area. It works in a pinch though. The biggest complaint I have is just with JAWS, JAWS doesn't seem to support touch typing on the on screen keyboard. Narrator does, though and I tried it out. I have a weird issue where when I bring up the on screen keyboard (you do it manually in windows), it seems to hide a lot of the app I'm typing in, so I can't see what I've typed or read the latest chats in Skype for instance until I get rid of the keyboard which is a two step process. We're getting there, let's hope 9 makes it better and let's also hope the next jaws update fixes more of the little problems I have. I know that Skype title issue I just mentioned is a jaws problem by the way because I've tried other screen readers just when it happened to me with jaws, jaws exhibits the behavior, I get rid of jaws, switch to NVDA, works fine. close NVDA switch back to jaws, it's still messed up. Close and open that chat again in Skype, problem solved for jaws too.
Cheers, Sent with Thunderbird 24.2.0 portable