Hi Shaun:

Well, not likely. Most game developers aren't in the habit of
discussing their future plans or publicly address compatibility issues
unless they have something in the works. Besides your idea of a weekly
or monthly update from each and every developer is a bit unrealistic.

For one thing a lot of developers, including myself, do this as a
hobby. Meaning they aren't necessarily working on games etc every day.
Therefore they probably don't have anything to report that often. Even
if they do there are very good reasons to not make any announcements
until if and when they have something to report.

As it is there have been public announcements from various game
developers here and there regarding compatibility, and the situation
by and large isn't being ignored. It just takes time to come up with a
workable solution.

For example, I recall some months ago David Greenwood stating he has
found a way to fix the 3d audio issues on Vista, Windows 7, and
Windows 8. He has a patch in the works for Shades of Doom and Tank
Commander that will address the audio issues. So right there we know
he is aware of the problem and has plans to fix it. We just don't know
when he will release said updates. As David Greenwood has always
played his cards pretty close to his chest I'm not surprised he hasn't
said much how those updates are going or said when they will be
released. Just knowing he is working on them is enough for me.

Draconis has also been pretty vocal the last few months about their
future plans. We have already seen their new engine in action with
Change Reaction and Silver Dollar, and I suspect we will see more from
them in the future. I am not too worried about their games having
serious long term compatibility issues with Windows 8 because I know
they are working on the issue.

My point being is we don't need to have a blog or some website where
each developer explains their plans regarding compatibility because
many of them are already slowly working on the issue if and when they
have the time or the desire to do so. Others we can be relatively sure
aren't doing much if anything to address the issue because they are
happy where they are, are happy with Visual Basic and XP, and won't
change until circumstances forces them to. That is not anything we
have any control over, and some of us will just have to move on
without them. That is all there is to it.

I know that sounds a bit cavalier, but the fact of the matter is there
is always someone somewhere who will be willing to fill the gap left
by another developer. If one developer quits, fails to upgrade, there
is bound to be someone somewhere who will replace them, and may even
be willing to write their own versions of the games. Once that happens
the compatibility issues left by the first developer are not of any
serious concern, and the original developer will simply cease to be a
concern.

Cheers!