Hi Willem,

I think I may not have been clear.

I wasn't asking how to code for Android. I was asking how you as a user would
use something like a web view in your daily uses. I'm trying to get an idea
from a user's point of view.

Also, in regard to the latest info, again, I'm interested in the user
experience not the development as I can easily access any answers I need for
that. :)

I'm asking about how a customer would see accessibility as this is very
important to us and this seems to be the issue that everyone seems to offer
different answers for or down-play in some way by just saying Android is
accessible but not offering real tangible examples.

The only examples from visually impaired customers, I see are from the Eyes
Free list and the questions and abilities of the user-base vary wildly.

So I'm wondering how an experienced user like yourself would use a web view or
supposedly inaccessible text field?

• How easy is it for you to use?

• What is the process of using it like?

Thanks so much!

Smiles,

Cara :)
---
iOS design and development - LookTel.com
---
View my Online Portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

Follow me on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/ModelCara

On Feb 24, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Willem Venter <dwill...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2/25/14, Cara Quinn <caraqu...@caraquinn.com> wrote:
> HI Willem,
>
> Are you actually referring to me here or just speaking generally?
No, I was refering to the article and the methodology he follow.

> As far as our own experience with Android development goes, I can assure you
> that this is not just a simple matter of trying something and not being able
> to do it on Android so we gave up.

> I work with world-class developers who
> are experts in their fields. So when they tell me something is less than
> accessible, I listen. :)
Perhaps you shouldn't jump to conclusions that fast. There was a time
when android and accessibility wasn't mature, but this is changing. I
guess everyone can't be a world-class expert in every field.

> Part of the reason my team chooses not to port our apps to Android at
> present is not just the use of the OS itself, it is also the effort that a
> lay-person must potentially go through in order to either have a device that
> is accessible to them or re-activate that device if it or some part of the
> OS crashes or otherwise fails in some way which may render the device
> inaccessible.
Really? All I need to do was turn on the accessibility shortcut in
settings. 3 presses of the power button always resets accessibility.

> * Can the customer bring the device up talking again by themselves on all
> devices with all OS versions?
Sure, unles your device is as ancient as the mountains. I know I did
this 2 years ago.

> * HOw much effort is involved in setting the device up or re-enabling
> accessibility so the customer can then use it effectively again or for the
> first time?
There's a shortcut, I can't remember what the gesture is now, so I'd
say easy. Even if you somehow couldn't get the gesture to work it only
requires someone to help you turn on 1 setting. It's a once off thing.

> The above concerns along with the lack of a standardized access experience
> across devices and OS versions makes developing on Android a no-go for us at
> least in the immediate future.
>
> You'd mentioned that web views are now accessible?

Yes. If I'm not mistaken Facebook uses one.
> Would you mind at all describing the process of using one on Android now?
I am by no mean proficient in using web views. I usually use native
controls, but a very quick search gave me this.
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebView.html
I see references to AccessibilityEvents and nodes. There's also a
stackoverflow answer I can't seem to find at the moment.

> As well, if anything I'm saying is in error, please, can you direct me to
> correct info so I have the latest?
The android documentation and examples are a very good source of info.
And Google is your friend if you are searching for ways to do things.