Hi Lindsay.

Well in shades of doom you can always check your direction facing with I believe the f key though I could be wrong as it's been quite some time sinse I played the game. Either way what I always did myself was learn directions relative to the way I faced.

So for example if I was going north I'd know east was to my right and west to my left, while if I was going west north was to my right and south to my left. This let check which way passages were going, like for example in level one where thelong passage goes to the west then I believe turns north, then goes back east, meaning I know I'm now going opposite to where I was before.

You can always check this yourself by using the control and arrow keys to snap turn right and left and then test out what direction your facing. Fortunately in shades of doom unless your picking up objects or fighting monsters all the doors and passages are at streight right angles so you can always use snap turns as main navigation.

Also, coordinates are your friend. If you are on 1-1 and go east you will be on 2-1. This is a great way of checking your exact location and knowing if you've been somewhere before. You can also work this out relative to what direction your travelling as well. indeed some games like galaxy ranger not to mention some browser games use coordinates as their main navigation feature all the time.

My own spacial sense is very lousy, I find it difficult to extrapolate maps from small peaces of information, bu by using coordinates and directions it's more than possible to create routes, know if you've been somewhere before, enter a room and exit it etc, it just takes practice and training your memory.

If shades of doom is giving you trouble, try something with a less complex layout but still in first person such as gma tank commander or packman talks. Indeed perhaps if Shades version 2 has some sort of map editer, someone could create some practice tutorial style maps so that people can get to grips with directions.

Funnily enough practicing this sort of thing in a computer game will help with your mobility, indeed I've recently got the blind square ap for my iphone which gives very similar information in the real world to the navigator in shades of doom, eg, what direction your going, what your passing etc.

I'd also advise mobility wise just keep practicing and learning, start off with say a streight route with one bend on it say to get to the nearest shop and go from there, also bare in mind not all mobility instructors are partciularly good at playing to people's particular strengths (I once knew a lady who thought I was the spawn of satan because I reffused to step count and didn't acknolidge my landmarks method at all).

Hope some of this helps.

Beware the grue!