If you're willing to play with the physical drive, you have a couple options. First off, there are devices you can buy for less than $20 U.S, which will allow you to plug either and IDE (older) or SATA (newer) drive in via usb. These can be somewhat fiddly, but they really do work extremely well for data recovery, or if you just want to access some old hard drive. If you happen to have an external drive with a USB to IDE or SATA converter as part of it, you may be able to detach the converter, plug it into your pc's drive, and then use it with your laptop that way. This can be a little more awkward than using a device designed to work with all disks rather than your specific external, but it'll get the job done.

Good luck.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Rivard" <wee1s...@fidnet.com
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org
Date sent: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 14:33:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] How to record?

The only other PC I have is a laptop.  If I had a case and power supply, I
might be able to set the drive from the nonworking PC up as an external
drive, but I don't.  RATS!!!  I might give the other option a try, and would
not be angry if they do not retrieve and send me the info, because, as you
say, it is my responsibility, not theirs.

you! really! are! finished!