Personally, I think that both keyboard and controller support should be included in games. Having said that, using a keyboard, can you dive while also turning when maneuvering a submarine? How about with a joystick? Maybe, to spark interest, what are the advantages of using a game controller compared to what can be done with a keyboard? And how much does a good controller cost compared to a keyboard? Thanks.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2014 2:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] saitek pro flight system?

Shaun,

That's where we differ in opinion. I came from the mainstream video
game world, and grew up on joysticks, gamepads, and so on and I can
tell you straight up front that using a keyboard is a drastically less
intuitive and less flexible mode of input. I'm sure your opinion that
keyboards is all a blind user needs has been shaped by the game's
currently on the market that do not truly harness the power of the
joystick or gamepad. While understandable it is wrongheaded and it is
exactly opinions like yours why some blind game developers don't
develop more games that exclusively harness the power and advantages
of a joystick or a mouse for that matter.

For example, I can say what the general reaction of the blind
community would be if I, as a developer, did so. Let's say I right
this really cool game, but design it where a joystick or gamepad is
required. I'd never hear the end of moaning, and groaning over the
fact I did not adequately support the keyboard, that they don't have a
joystick, that they don't have money to buy one, etc. What seems to be
missing in all this complaining and moaning and groaning is the point
I was trying to introduce a more mainstream mode of input that is
often times much better than the one they want. I know this because I
remember the wining and complaining people made when Che Martin
introduced the mouse support in Rail Racer and Aprone did so in Swamp.
Given that kind of negative attitude to change why bother trying to
raise the standard of audio gaming if people are just going to wine
about it?

Don't mean to go on a rant here, but your attitude that a keyboard is
all a blind person needs for gaming lacks any kind of experience with
the many ways it could improve audio gaming. That it would be easier,
more intuitive, and over all offer newer and better ways to do things.
You need to consider the advantages of the alternatives rather than
just assume audio gaming can not and will not be any better than it is
right now. In short, if mediocre games is all you want from developers
that's all you will ever get.

I had an old force feedback stick before these were fashonable
however I got rid of it because I wasn't using it.
Apart from 3d verlosity which I havn't really mastered that well I
have not managed to really get into the habbit of using a stick for
anything else.
I have a mouse and since swamp one of the only games that used it is
payed and I don't spend the time to really do it justice, I have
decided to leave that to.
I still think for us blind people that a good basic keyboard is all
we will ever need.