Hi Shaun,

Well, it is entirely possible your controller wasn't properly
calibrated. By default they should already be calibrated, but if not
you may need help getting it calibrated. That is one of those things
that comes with owning and using a game controller. If you want it to
work smoothly with your games it has to be calibrated else your
results may very.

As far as having or not having the space on your desk that's a bit of
a personal problem. I am sure there are workarounds for it if you
truly wanted to use a game controller. these days there are a number
of wireless devices that you can use that hardly take up any physical
space. If you properly hold it in your lap, not on a desk, it doesn't
matter how much space you have on your desktop because one assumes you
are holding it while using it rather than sitting it on a desk. When
you are not using it all you need do is power off the unit and slide
it in a drawer. I often keep mine in my laptop case when not in use.
Either way, I think your argument of not having space is more an
excuse rather than a justification for not having one.