I remember when force feedback started to be a thing on the ps 1 it looked like an interesting extra idea for games, but as it stood it never really seemed to get much use as it was basically just a vibration switch in the stick rather like a phone's vibration.

I always thought it had more potential for feedback in games, especially accessible ones, such as say increasing level of vibration in a space ship, racing or other vehicle game to show how damaged your unit was or what gear you were in, or increasing the vibration as you goot closer to a wall but whenever I saw it used, it always seemed basically just an on/off properpty, rather than something a developer could control and it never added much to the game, for example the game bloody roar used a quick burst of vibration when your character got knocked down, but it didn't really do much even for atmosphere (or at least it didn't to me), ---- heck even on the Iphone it seems there is only one vibration rate, it either vibrates or it doesn't, which is why I've not seen many games that use it.

A wasted hardware potential I can't help thinking, especially for accessible games where you could use it for another level of information thus freeing up the audio field.

Beware the grue!