Hi Jody,

Honestly, the answer to both of your questions is simple ignorance on
the part of the developer. One thing you may not realize is that when
a student enrolls in a college class on programming or goes to a tech
school that there isn't any time spent on accessibility. College
courses and tech schools have a lot of information to pack into 12
week courses so often times the basics of programming and software
design are covered, but a lot of things like accessibility are never
mentioned in class. It is up to the perspective developer to research
on his or her own time.

Since accessibility isn't given much consideration at the education
level chances are a developer will enter the work force ignorant of
accessibility issues and develop a web site, a piece of software,
whatever and make many unintentional mistakes regarding accessibility.
It is only when someone with a visual disability like you or I brings
it to their attention they are aware of any accessibility issues. By
that time they may be reluctant to correct those accessibility issues
because it may require both time and energy to fix. If they had known
in advance they might have done things completely differently to start
with, but the situation being what it is most developers don't know
they are making a mistake until they make it and are informed about
it.

Which directly brings me to your question. Its not that developers are
scared of screen readers its that they just do not know anything about
them. They are out of their element when we discuss them, and a lot of
times a blind computer user expects this computer programmer to know
all about it when they don't. As I stated above they may have already
invested lots of time and effort developing a site, a piece of
software, an application not intentionally creating accessibility
issues, but by the time they are informed about those access issues it
may require a lot more time and effort to fix than they are personally
willing to invest in making it accessible.

As far as Flash there are a lot of advantages to using Flash which
makes sense why web developers use it. Unfortunately, this is sort of
related to your first question. It looks cool, offers a lot of
functionality for the developer, but ignorance about accessibility
issues means it will be used incorrectly or in a way that isn't screen
reader friendly. Not intentionally, but until more mainstream
programmers are aware of the accessibility issues with Flash and other
technologies we are going to get more of the same.