Hi Ishan,

I would have my doubts about audio games being known all over the
world let alone being popular among the world's blind children. There
are two reasons for this.

For starts there are plenty of places where the cost of a computer is
prohibitively expensive, and the added cost of access technology such
as Jaws etc is even more prohibitive. While free access solutions like
NVDA is helping lower the cost of access for the blind all over the
world I'm fairly confident in saying there are some countries and
market areas where the majority of the blind do not have the
technology they'd need for audio games.

Another issue is just language barriers. Most of the audio games out
right now are written for English speaking gamers. While English is
spoken all over the world I can also see a certain percentage of the
blind population being barred from playing games all because they have
not learned English or only are just learning English. Thus if it
isn't in their native tongue various games would be unavailable to
them.

As for Linux, spelled L i n u x, and Mac OS X I am fairly confident
most VI developers won't be developing for them. There are two reasons
for this.

The first is simply that Windows is all some developers know. Some
audio game developers have always used Windows, never used anything
else, so have no interest or motivation in developing games for
another platform. It might cost them time and perhaps money in order
to develop games for a different platform, and I'd say most Windows
developers wouldn't want to bother with the hassle.

Another issue is that there are a number of audio game developers who
have for one reason or another gone with Microsoft specific
technologies like Visual Basic and DirectX. While they are suitable
for a Windows developer neither technology is appropriate for Mac or
Linux so they would have to learn a different programming language and
different game APIs. Since it would require a fair amount of
relearning what they already know many developers may not want to make
that big a change unless there is something in it for them.

This problem is further compounded by the fact that BGT allows new and
inexperienced developers to develop games using a highly advanced
engine, but it is only supported on Windows. Those newbies wanting to
develop for another platform would have to start over from scratch
with a different programming language and APIs. Otherwise if they use
BGT, which is a great tool, they are pretty much bound to Windows just
because that's what BGT was designed for.

Cheers!