if you want to be a logger go get the survive the wild game. then you can cut down trees and stuff.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 4/30/2015 12:16 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Dark,

As you said you were raised with a different type of mentality.
Certainly the religious fundamentalism that is so popular here in the
US isn't as prevalent over in the UK which makes the world of
difference when discussing topics like fantasy and games.

The issue here is that fundamentalists are often very literal minded
about scriptural interpretation . They attempt to apply concepts and
ideas written down 2,000 or more ago to a modern day framework which
doesn't always work to my way of thinking.

For example, the verse in Deuteronomy often quoted to declare games
like dungeons and Dragons as evil is actually talking about worship
and practicing the occult in a very literal sense. It isn't talking
about books, games, or anything like that. I doubt the concept of
playing a game like Dungeons and Dragons were on the author's minds
since it hadn't been created yet. Therefore applying that verse to
games in a modern context makes little sense as a group of college
kids sitting around a table playing D&D aren't literally casting
spells or worshipping pagan gods. They are just rolling dice and
playing along with an adventure story.

In short, like you said for me playing a game like D&D and practicing
witchcraft in the real world are in two different categories mentally.
I do not confuse the two, nor do I think one has any bearing on the
other. However, to a religious fundamentalist they make no
distinctions like that and apply scripture to all references of the
occult real and imaginary. Even if the scripture in question doesn't
really apply to that situation.

Cheers!