Hi Josh,

You are comparing apples to oranges here. The Vocalizer Add-on and
Leasey are completely two different types of programs, are supported
differently by NVDA, thus is a poor comparison. Let me explain.

With Leasey it is written to be a screen reader add-on. It directly
interfaces with the screen reader, and is written in the screen
reader's own scripting language. Thus it is subject to the same type
of license of the screen reader it is written for. In the case of NVDA
that would be the GPL which means it couldn't be closed source.

The Vocalizer voices are not a part of NVDA. They are a completely
separate entity legally and technically so of course can be closed
source. The only connection they have to NVDA is the Vocalizer
drivers, which by the way are open source, and are in keeping with the
NVDA license agreement.

So you see if the add-on is a module for NVDA it has to be open
source. If it is a separate program that works independent of NVDA it
can be closed source.

HTH