Hi Bryan,
As we recently discussed on the private USA Games testing list making
games configurable is good, but sometimes too much configuration is too
much for a developer or company.
For example, it would be wonderful if accessibility could be switched on
or off, but everytime a company would have to address an accessibility
issue such as color contrast for low vision users, more 3D sound and
targeting beeps for the totals, say screen enlargement for legally blind
who need screen magnification, Sapi support to speak stuff are likely to
over welm the perspective company for probably little gain for the hours
of extra effort it would take to put all those features in. That is just
addressing those with visual impairments.
We haven't even began talking about those without fine motor skills, or
full use of one or more of their limbs.
Some of the FPS titles I have played in the passed requires excelent
hand eye coordination to jump onto ledges, over traps, or to battle enemies.
In the end to maximise accessibility they would have to slow things down
at a rate we could play it and really down for those who just move slow
do to poor motor skills, etc...
Some games such as board games, card games, etc can be universally
accessible. Others like a fast action First Person Shooter is unlikely
to ever be fully accessible to one group or another.
I mean we could look at GTC or SOD for example. It is is accessible to
me and you, but what about a person who is blind and deaf, or a person
who is blind and has now use of his or her arms. Ouch! Not as accessible
even though it is an accessible game.