Hi Casey,
It should work just fine on Vista right out of the box. Vista already
supports DirectX 8, 9, and 10 for C++ applications so no matter which
version of those I chose Vista would be cool. The difference here is for
games using .Net the managed components needs installed, and why games
fail under .Net.
As for C++ itself the os itself is written in C++, and all the core
libraries are for C++. The Win32 API

is litterally the Windows core, and the API might be upgraded but is
backwards compatible with Windows XP and 2000. Else apps would be
breaking like mad between Windows versions.
It is important to note apps like MS Word is a Win32 application. Since
the Win32 API is backwards compatible you can install Word 2000 to Vista
and run it successfully even though MS doesn't recommend it.