From: "Thomas Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:54 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Accessible methods for locating special items in games.

Hi all,
All of us know there are several ways to make an inanimate object
accessible in a game for a blind gamer, but I am wondering which way is
best. For example, in Shades of doom when you wish to find a door,
datacard, security chip, etc you can locate the object by listening for
a continuous beep. That's fine for Sci-fi games. However, assume for a
moment we are in a castle like in Sarah. In Sarah you will hear words
spoken like sweet spoken over and over until you pick it up. There is
also a third way as in Montezuma's Revenge were you are presented with
sounds for gems, gold coins, etc and you listen for the specific sounds
to collect the items.
As many of you know I am working on other titles besides Montezuma's
Revenge.
 In Star Wars for example when a enemy drops a hand blaster how would
you like me to  identify where that object is. Would you like to hear
the sound of a voice saying hand blaster, hand blaster, hand blaster,
over and over again, or would you like an object locator sound similar
to Shades of Doom to find that object.
Recently Trenton has braught up the idea for an accessible Tomb Raider
which happened to be one of my favorite game series  when I was sighted.
If I do eventually do one of those I'll have to be creative in
identifying objects as most of them are inanimate objects like
hyrogliphs, chains and levers to open secret passages, swinging ropes,
weapon ammo, med kits, and so on. Basically, some things such as ropes
and chains I can put sounds in which would fit with no problem. Some of
the other things are questionable. Say you are seaking a golden mask or
golden snake. I can't really represent them with sound, but I can use a
object locator with a beep to pick them up, or I can use words to
announce golden snake, golden mask, etc....
What are your thoughts on this?