Hi Ken,
I think allot of the problem is that many of those in favor of keeping
the games audio exactly as it was aren't aware of how few sounds were
actually in the old arcade classics. For example, take a simple game
like mouse trap. There was some music as you traveled through the traps,
a few bleeps and beeps as you opened traps, a beep/bleep when you got an
item, a death sound, and the dog bark when you ate the dog bone and
could chase the cats. Other than that it was pretty visual, and no one
has given me a good alternative to making that game accessible without
using modern day sound effects.
In some cases like the game of Asteroids the game is drastically
improved by using modern realistic sound effects. When you hit an
asteroid you can realistically make the sound of a cracking rock or a
rock being blasted. Lasers, spaceships, etc all sound much more
realistic and improves the over all environmental effects for the game.
If we stick to the 1979 sounds then we are talking about some pretty
lamo effects. A bleep for a laser shot, unrealistic explosions for the
asteroids, and the music in hind sight is kind of annoying.