Hi John,
I've worked with Java in the past for non-game related projects, and I
agree it is a nice  language. to design programs in. However, it isn't
without its drawbacks and issues to deal with.
First, there is the issue that not all the major screen readers support
the java access bridge which means for example a Window eyes user who
comes to the game's registration screen can't read it do to the fact GW
Micro has been dragging their feet forever about giving us quality Java
support.
Second, based on my reading of Java input devices all I can find is code
for keyboards and mice. There doesn't seam to be any game pad or
joystick support let alone force feedback devices which I hope  to
eventually support.
Third, I've studdied a bit in to the Java SDK's sound API, and while it
does have the ability to stop, play, pan, sounds etc it isn't of the
same quality of support I am use to with DirectX. Java doesn't appear to
be equipped for really intensive audio games where there could be 50 or
more sounds playing at once.
Finally, I am not certain what to do about Sapi support under Java. I
like the Windows Sapi voices, but if I go multiplatform I don't want to
be stuck with something like FreeTTS, AKA Robby the Robot on acid, which
is not the quality of Sapi voices I am use to using on a daily basis.
If you have any ideas, comments, or suggestions about my comments above
let me know. However, I am not certain Java suits my development
requirements or standards.
By the way, my games are written in C# not C++. Though, if I could get
Visual C++ .Net configured right I would like to be able to actually
write in C++ as that was my first favorite language, and is pretty rock
solid without the hastle of the .net Framework. Though, at the moment I
have made no decisions yet as to what USA Games will do in the next year
about changing languages if at all.