Most certainly, that is the case, all of your information is correct.

The problem is, most people are going to learn self-defense instead of a
martial art. Striking is impractical to start out learning for purely
defensive purposes.

If a person wants to learn a martial art, for physical or mental
disciplinary purposes, more training can be arranged.

Also, a concern is that which you pointed out. Familiarity with the
environment is usually not a luxury we have. In a training setting, the
environment is uniform or at least fairly constant. On the streets, God
knows what the environment is like.

Strikes, basically, can be used by us with great effect, but that's only
after you've grabbed a person, unless you've gotten lots of training. If
I've got someone, I'm going to do a pressure point, wrist or arm lock, or
throw them hard because that'll do more damage and disable them faster than
a strike, based on odds of hitting the target.

Remember, these are based on self-defense, not professional martial arts
issues. Everyone should know self-defense, but not everyone wants to know
martial arts.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard