Hi Shaun,
On a whole using Sapi 5 voices is a good thing. It makes development
move faster and it is way more flexable than using pre-recorded speech.
Even i am sort of growning at going back to pre-recorded speech.
However, using Sapi tts engines has a dark side I wasn't aware of back then.
One, Sapi 5 tends to be a rather unstable technology. While it seams to
work for most people I have had around 10 to 20 users where Sapi wasn't
working, and trying to get it working again was difficult and time
consuming. Usually, it was do to uninstalling or installing some Sapi
engine that broke the entire Sapi 5 architecture.
Second, I am going multiplatform and Java. Java currently doesn't have a
good way to handle Sapi 5 tts, and I don't want to have to pay extra to
support Sapi 5 in Java currently. I think the cost is unnecessary to
design a reasonably good game.
Third, since Raceway, Tomb Raider, and other games are scheduled to go
multiplatform adding things like Sapi would be catering totally to the
Windows market, and leave other operating systems in the dark on what to
use for tts. Probably FreeTTS something like that which is much lower
quality than say Scansoft.
The thing to do which is both multiplatform and can sound good is
packing  my own speech with the game. Larger game size, but not to bad
since they will be packed and compressed in the games jar file.