Hi Bryan,
Yeah, the only problem with having end users creating their own sound
packs is that they will have to rebuild the jar package from scratch,
and if they don't know how to do that I wouldn't recommend unpacking the
jar file modifying it and rebuilding it on their own.
The manifest file for the jar file has to have the class path and main
class information correct or it won't exicute correctly.
While it would be possible to put these wav files out side the main jar
package it then becomes an issue of exicution time. For time sensative
stuff like swopping wav files on the fly or blazing images and graphics
all sources I have read say those files need to be packed with the
classes in the same jar  file for increased exicution and speed of the
jvm and your app in real time That might prove too much for the average
Joe out there..