Hi Tyler,
Before Jaws 3.2 there was no software Synth with Jaws. You had to use a
hardware synth like a Dectalk, Keynote, Artic, etc... I should know I
have used every version of Jaws from Jaws  For Dos 2.x to Jaws 9 for
Windows.
One thing I might want to add around Jaws 3.0 software speech engines
were just coming into being and Henter-Joice were starting to sell
Eloquence, Dectalk software, Flextalk, and Keynote Gold was offered by
Humanware as extra add ons for Jaws 3.0, but they were not included with
Jaws.