Hello Ari et all,
Inform 7, at least with jfw, is mostly accessible. It has two windows,
the "coding" area where you actually enter your story mostly in full
english sentences, and the second window is the viewer, where the
program displays it's messages like compile status, errors, help pages,
examples, etc.
Features like the built in inform interpreter, skein, keywords list are
not accessible, but to write your code, to compile and see the errors
it's perfect. You can test your story with an external interpreter, like
Zoom for the mac, frotz, etc.
Inform 7 has an excellent help system, with many many examples and
because the mode you're writing your stories is almost like natural
english, it is extremely easy to learn and use. It's portable, there are
interpreters for windows, linux, mac, even for pacmates.
I've tried lots of if authoring systems which are programming-based, but
since almost every one uses a c-syntax, i did not like them. There is
one however, called JACL, which is extremely easy to learn if you have
basic programming skills (no matter in which language). It is not that
popular, in fact, the author told me i am the only person using it at
the moment, but i hope that will change soon.
It runs on linux, can run on windows under cygwin, and probably on the
mac too.
I say, if you want to write stories easily and you don't know how to
program, go for inform. If you do know, go for JACL, it's much easier
than tads, inform 6 or others.
You can download the Inform 7 environment at:
http://www.inform-fiction.org
and you can get JACL at:
http://jacl.sf.net
Rob