Hi Dark,
Well, if gamers on this list are interested in a Lonewolf style Trek
game instead of a full real time strategy game I would certainly do it.
Making a Lonewolf style game isn't too hard to do. It is actually
infinitly easier in the long run.
Instead of programming for 5 or 10 starships all i have to focus on is
one ship. That would of course allow me to add more detail to that one
ship adding more advanced features with damage control, weapons,
restocking, autopilot system, etc. In fact, now that you mention it it
is an all around better idea.
I could in theory moddle STFC 2 around a GMA Tank Commander style of
play where you are given your mission orders, and then you enter some
sector of space to investigate something or stop some enemy vessel.
However, as for a Lonewolf style mission parcer I can't really do that.
All of my future games are going to be using pre-recorded speech like
GTC so like GTC all missions will have to be added by the developer and
not externally by end users. I'm sorry, but I won't pay $499 for a
license for the Java Sapi 5 development kit just to have a mission
parcer in a free game.
As for modding Lonewolf I would not touch that with a 10 foot poll.
Besides the copyright violations of converting Lonewolf in to a Trek
game the engine itself would never operate correctly even if you did.
There are too many differences between Star Trek starships and real
naval vessels. Wepondry being one of them.
For example, on STNG the enterprise NCC 1701-D comes equipped with the
following armourments. The Enterprise has 13 Type-X phaser emitters each
with 5.1 Megawatts of throughput. In addition to phasers the Enterprise
carries a maximum of 250 photon torpedoes that may be fired in groups of
5 to 20 per shot, or fired in single bursts. The Enterprise carries the
standard Starfleet shield generators with a maximum output of 2026
gigawatts of resistance. Like all vessels the Enterprise caries 9 deep
space probes which may be used for reconicense operations or can be
converted into 9 additional photon torpedoes in emergency situations.
As you can see just by reviewing the armourment specs the Lonewolf
submarine doesn't even come close to matching up with the Enterprise's
true weapons. The Enterprise 1701-E seen in Startrek 8, 9, 10 is even
more powerful since it was designed to fight the Borg.